Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The Ultrasound

My ultrasound this morning went very well. "Spot" (yes we have a new nickname) measured right on schedule at 7 weeks 2 days. And we saw the heartbeat, which was a nice 145bpm. I'll post my picture later since the scanner at work produced an image that was even fuzzier than the already fuzzy picture. I'm afraid my RE didn't find Spot to be particularly photogenic as s/he was hiding in the corner of the gestational sac and it was difficult to get a good picture.

Since we have now graduated from the RE's office, I went ahead and made my OB appointment. The doctor's schedule is really tight during the next couple of weeks, so I had to split my first visit up into 2 sessions. On February 25th I'll have an ultrasound and meet with the nurse. On February 28th I'll have the appointment with the OB.

I hardly know what else to say. This feels a little more real than it did yesterday given the evidence, but it still feels awfully surreal at the same time. And while I feel some relief, I don't feel quite as much as I would like. I certainly have no reasons for pessimism, but all the same it is a bit difficult to let go of the nervousness. I guess that I do it for self protection, although I know that those efforts are useless as I'd disappointed with anything but a healthy baby. So for the next couple of weeks, I'm just going to try my best to abandon fears and enjoy all of this. I just have to figure out how.

12 comments:

B said...

Yay! I can't wait to see the pics.

Kelly said...

Yay for Spot/the Growth!!! I'm so glad that your appt went well:) Can't wait to see the picture! (Not that I'll know what I'm looking at/for but I'll try!)

Kathy V said...

I am glad to hear that the heart is beating and all seems well with the "growth" I mean "Spot". Even though you have to go to appointments at two different times atleast you have them scheduled.

I am sure the uneasiness will slide away as things progress. It may not happen right away but that is okay after everything you have been through.

Sunny said...

Hooray!!! So excited for your good news. Don't put too much pressure on yourself to enjoy the pregnancy, it will sink in when you are ready and you'll have plenty of time to be elated.

Mel said...

Awesome!!!
CONGRATS!!! =)

Birdee said...

Yay! Its over and all is well. Enjoy-Enjoy-Enjoy. Your Pregnant and that's that.
Although I understand the reservation part, from this moment forward, you will never stop worrying about your little one. I still worry about mine every day. That doesn’t go away, so give yourself permission to enjoy the life you have within you.

BTW, I'm not fond of the nick name "Spot" I like "Stick" better. (JMO) :wink:

Congratulations on all being well.

Nicky said...

It helps to just let yourself feel whatever you feel. I did feel relieved after the first ultrasound, but was worried again 2 days later. My infinite wisdom of being a whole 3 weeks further than you :) is that there is no "normal" feelings or "normal" symptoms during pregnancy. I totally understand the surreal part, though.

Congrats on the good ultrasound.

Meghan said...

Yeah!!! Great news! I'm so glad Spot measured on target

Monica Fayth said...

Congrats! Just think, you're more than halfway through your 1st trimester.

Anonymous said...

Hooray for a good appointment! Grow Spot Grow!!

CanadianMama said...

Congrats Jen, that is wonderful news!

Katie said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! I am so excited for you and don't worry, more photogenic moments are to come.