Tuesday, February 26, 2008

OB Visit 1.0 a Success

Yesterday marked my first visit to an OB/GYN ever. It seems like most women have been to one before getting pregnant, but not me. My primary care doc takes care of my annual physicals complete with the ever fun pap smears, and he also did my initial IF work-up. I was referred to the OB/GYN I'm seeing now when he couldn't figure out what was going wrong with my cycles, but I skipped them and went straight to the RE because I didn't want to wait 4 months to get an appointment (I definitely don't regret that decision!). Apparently, they can fit you in much sooner when you are pregnant than they can when you're having problems trying to get pregnant. Go figure.

The ultrasound went fabulously. I kind of had to chuckle though when the tech explained that it would be trans-vaginal and asked if I'd ever had an ultrasound done this way before. Ummm...yeah. Like 2 dozen times this year. Anyhow, it is astounding how much Spot grew in just two weeks. S/he went from looking like a blob to a gummy-bear like baby who measured a couple days ahead at 9 weeks 2 days. The heart was beating away at a healthy 166 bpm, and I think I even saw a tiny bit of twitching. Spot was much less shy about being photographed today, and here is the lovely pic:

After the ultrasound we met with the nurse. She gave me a couple of samples of prenatal vitamins with stool softener in them. Hallelujah! I remember Katie mentioning these little miracles. Oh and I got even more reading material, which is great seeing as I'm a voracious reader of anything pregnancy related these days. Then after peeing in a cup and giving the vampire a few tubes of blood I was done. Also the nurse confirmed that my due date is September 29th. There had been some mention of October 1st, but I'm glad it is the earlier date. I know it is only two days but it just sounds so much earlier.

On Thursday I go meet the OB. Hopefully I like her because I sure don't want to have to jump through the hoops of a first appointment somewhere else. Although I would probably get another ultrasound out of the deal. Hmmm...tempting....

16 comments:

Katarina Jelly Beana said...

That is the prettiest little gummybear ever!

I hope you do like the OB. It's never good when you feel at odds with them and have to start all over.

Shelby said...

Congrats on the sono! He/she's a cutie already!

Katie said...

Yay, yay, yay!!!!!!

SO exciting, so amazing! I LOVE the gummy bear phase!

So happy for you, my dear!

Kathy V said...

Spot looks good. Keep up the good work.

Laura said...

Great picture!

Looks like we are at about the same stage.

George said...

Great u/s pics...your little sweetheart is looking more and more like a BABY! Wow!!! Good luck with your OB appt...I hope you like your doc.

Prairie Girl said...

Great u/s pic! :D

Hoping you like the OB! :D

Mazzy said...

Love that photo-so glad to hear the wonderful news. :)

Jennifer said...

yay - what a beautiful baby...so glad everything went well!

Sunny said...

CUTE! I love those early ultrasounds. A little person in there, isn't that amazing?!

As far as books go, I found "The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy" to be fun. Also, I surprised to like Jenny McCarthy's "Belly Laughs." They aren't very technical reads, but you get the real scoop on pregnancy. "What to Expect When Your Expecting" was more helpful to me later on, especially the labor/delivery chapters. I couldn't really handle that book early in the pregnancy, it just made me worry!

Anonymous said...

Look how big Spot has gotten! Congrats on the wonderful visit! I hope the second half goes just as well!

Maria said...

YAY!! So amazing! Your little gummy bear is beautiful. It never ceases to amaze me how cool this whole process is.

Jen said...

Fabulous pic! Congrats!

Ann said...

Yes, I noticed, too, during my second u/s (8 days later than my first one) that the baby's body parts were much more distinguishable. It's pretty darned cool!

rocket.queen. said...

Cutest little gummy bear ever!

B said...

Yay! I'm so excited to see the gummybear! I can't wait to hear about all of the pg-milestones! Oh, and be sure to let us know if the new prenatals work!