Thursday, November 29, 2007

Yarn...the Answer to Emotional Eating

I've been trying to start dieting for several months now. I usually gather enough inspiration over the weekend to start dieting on Monday, but unfortunately I rarely make it past Wednesday or Thursday. I find the biggest problem is that I'm an emotional eater. If I'm bored I want a chocolate chip cookie. If I'm feeling upset I want some scrumptious chocolate. If I'm frustrated I grab a yummy cake donut from TopPot. If I'm sleepy I'll grab a gingerbread latte from Starbucks with whip cream to balance out the nonfat milk. So obviously I need to find some ways to break this habit. I've done it before so I know that I'm capable. It's just a matter of gaining some momentum.

So now I've made it through 4 days without having an emotional eating attack, but only for 1 reason. Yarn. Yesterday after I had a bad doctor's appointment (more on that later) I almost went to the Starbucks drive through for a Gingerbread latte and cookie. But instead I realized that I was (1) not hungry and (2) that stopping at the Yarn Stash in Burien (which I'd never visited) on my way home would be just as soothing and much more healthy than food. I just love to touch all those yarns with there various textures and colors while dreaming about future knitting or crocheting projects. I purchased a couple of my favorites and greenish blues were apparently my color of choice yesterday. I haven't decided exactly what to do with them yet, but I'm thinking the multi-colored yarn (Butteryfly yellow/green/blue 2nd pic) might be good for the Danica scarf. The other (Cascade 220 superwash teal 2nd pic) I might use to knit a cardigan for the baby my stepbrother and his wife are expecting. It's not really a traditional baby style of yarn. But it is soft, and I think it would make for a funky sort of look that would suit them well.




So the yarn obsession will help with the dieting. It's just a little more expensive. Oh well!

2 comments:

Shelby said...

Ooh, pretty!! I love the colors you picked! That's a great way to save some calories- plus, you have to be burning something while knitting, right?

And on a healthy note- did you see that Starbucks now has a sugar free gingerbread latte?? I'm so excited about this!! It's not too bad either!

Birdee said...

~*Sigh*~, Ok, this must be a sign, I just purchased 10 Lean Cuisine's Today and ate my very first one ever for lunch today.
I don’t plan diets, I just jump on one when I'm triggered, sometimes I stay on the diet for a while, and other times I fall off the wagon.
NOW, the hard part, Yarn is not my favorite thing, but you know what? There is something in your post that made it intriguing, maybe it’s the yarn vs. added calories thing. But I'll try it. I'll take a picture of my first piece of work and send it to you. I won’t plan to give it to anyone, but maybe it can go in a shadow box as a symbol of my TTC - Infertility and Emotional Eating life.