Thursday, August 9, 2007

The Commute from Hell will Commence in 24 Hours

Apparently the expansion joints on I-5 northbound need to be replaced between Spokane street and downtown. Which is good, because its nice to have well maintained freeways. I only wish they didn't have to shut down half of the northbound lanes for over two weeks because this won't be pretty. In fact the words "unprecedented gridlock from Seattle to past Tacoma" apparently communicate the most optomistic description of the anticipated state of the commute

WSDOT is trying their best to get people to use mass transportation during the construction. Ironically I, who vanpools to work every day, will be hitting the road in my car as my fellow vanpoolers have all decided to either go on vacation, work from home or take the train. Unfortunately my boss nixed the work from home option, so I had decided to work 4 10's from 4:30am - 3:00pm every day until...

Jeramy's knee. It now appears that he will be back at Harborview during the next couple of weeks. Normally when he works at Harborview he commutes on the motorcycle so that he can park on the job site, but he can't bend his knee enough to get on the bike. The alternative is to drive the car or truck but that requires parking at a garage several blocks away, and with a hurt knee I really can't see Jeramy making that trek up and down the incredibly steep James street everyday. So the alternative to the alternative is that I drop him off. Which is normally fine, except that this precludes me from working 4 10's.

So please pray for some miracle of knee healing. Because otherwise, I'm afraid that Jeramy and I might kill each other during these lengthy hours of our impending commute.

1 comment:

Ann(ie) said...

MAN OH MAN do I ever feel your pain. That's going to be a loooooooooong, painful three weeks. Thankfully I have a carpool buddy, but since we have to be at work @ 7:15 a.m. I'll be dropping the baby off at daycare before 6 a.m. and then we get in the car and cross our fingers we're not on the road for 3,000 hrs. each way. Good luck and Godspeed my friend!!