I'm in a sharing mood today. So I'll share with you a dirty little secret that I've failed to mention before. You see, I'm kind of ghetto.
This really isn't that surprising if you know where I grew up. By the airport. I don't know if there has ever been a really nice suburb by an airport. There is just something about plane noise and jet fuel that does not mesh well with upscale living.
My high school was not exactly known for its stellar academics. In fact, I read in wikipedia that it is known as "the ghetto school" in our district. Jeramy graduated one year early with a respectable grade point average, and yet he rarely completed a homework assignment at home. (However he can give you some good tips on how to ace a vocabulary test that involves a clear pen, very small fonts and great eyesight.) I got an A in calculus without learning what a derivative was. Athletics were also lacking, and we were best known for holding the still unbroken record for the most consecutive losses in football at 46 games from 1988 to 1993. Our most famous graduate is Gary Ridgeway. He is better known as the Green River Killer infamous for killing at least 48 women who were mostly prostitutes working along the nearby highway.
With such beginnings is it really any wonder that I'm so ghetto? Just in case I haven't been fully forthcoming in the past, let me point out clear examples of my trashiness:
1. I drink wine from a box. And I like it.
2. We own more trailers than operable vehicles.
3. Our first baby purchase was a gun safe (because we're safety concious like that)
4. I have worn slippers to go grocery shopping. Multiple times.
5. I much prefer a cheap chain restaurant to those fancy places that serve food I've never heard of in amazing small portions at obscene prices.
6. There are occasions when we deem it acceptable to drink beer before noon. Like when fishing. Or camping.
All right. So I've shared my dirty little secret. So what's yours?