Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Our House has been Infiltrated by Huge Spiders

So I mentioned a few weeks ago that Jeramy killed a spider in the bathroom for me. Well since then we've had several more spider citing incidents all confined to the bathroom culminating with one this morning where are very large spider was actually sharing the shower with Jeramy. The fear of running into a large eight-legged creature at every turn is a little disconcerting to say the least. My only consolation is that Jeramy tends to find them first now that he gets up earlier than I do in the morning.

This happens every year about this time but for some reason this year is worse than usual. So I decided to do a little web research this morning to determine the best way of getting rid of these guys. I figured that there must be some information out there on the best kind of bug bomb or pesticide to use when exterminating these little monsters. However, it turns out that I had no idea what I was really dealing with at all.

It turns out that these are likely male Giant House Spiders. Apparently these spiders have evolved over time to live *gulp* inside your house and are found specifically in the Pacific Northwest and also parts of Europe. They can grow to be 7.5 cm in diameter which is nearly 3 inches. They are not spiders coming in from the outside like I thought. Rather they take up residence in places not frequently visited by humans or other large mammals such as corners, behind boxes, and in crawl spaces. Most of these spiders will spend their entire life in the same building. Late August through October is mating season so these spiders we're finding are probably males searching for a mate. You find them in sinks and bathtubs a lot because they are attracted by the water (all this wandering makes a horny spider thirsty after all) but they find themselves trapped when they can't climb the slippery walls to get back out.

I read an article in the PI from a few years ago that said there are not a lot of good extermination options and most will only work temporarily.
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/243436_wellspent05.html

I also found a good website on spider myths:
http://www.washington.edu/burkemuseum/spidermyth/myths/house.html

However I take issue with how these myths are debunked. They assume that once you know the facts (the spiders are not venomness, they kill other bugs, they are not aggressive, etc.) that you will cease to be afraid of them. But you know what, fear doesn't really work that way. You can throw all the logic you want at me, and I'm still going to freak out every time I see one of these suckers because they just make me shiver and panic. And now to know that they're living their entire lives in my house, that what I'm seeing is just the tip of the iceberg, and that there is nothing that I can do about (or should even want to do about because they are really quite "friendly spiders) does nothing to make me feel better.

Is there a support group out there for this or something?

No comments: