Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Back to Work

Well it is back to work tomorrow for Jeramy after a 3 day unpaid vacation (aka strike) after his union voted this morning to accept a slightly revised contract. I suspect that the union may have also taken a few key learnings away from this experience. For example, plumbers and pipefitters like to drink. So if you schedule a 6pm contract vote after work, they all head to the bar for a couple of hours and many will show up intoxicated. This makes it hard to read and comprehend a contract of several pages that is handed to them at the beginning of the meeting. It also leads to puking in the back of the auditorium and fights in the streets and local bars. Plus it makes it much more difficult to find venues where you can hold meetings to discuss revised contracts as many of the large venues in the Seattle area will not allow you back.

In any case, I'm quite happy with this outcome as it allowed me the financial ability to purchase bedding for Miss Jillian today Here is what I ordered.

Finally, I've composed a list in my mind of things I like and things I don't like. So now seems an ideal time to get this list of rants and raves out in the open.

What I like...
  • Feeling the baby move. It has gotten much stronger in recent weeks and she seems to be most active in the evening. The best part came Sunday when Jeramy finally felt her kick. It has taken a bit of patience on his part as she likes to stop moving whenever he puts his hand on my belly. But it was priceless to see the excitement on his face.
  • Strawberries. They're in season and cheap. They're like candy, except that they're good for you.
  • Knitting girl stuff. I get all excited just thinking about the possibilities. Now I just need to find the time to actually knit something!
  • Colace and lots of fiber. I've been regular for weeks now! Just thought I'd share.
  • Comments. I love reading your guys' comments. They never cease to make me smile and often even laugh out loud. It is always just so nice to hear from you.
What I dislike...
  • Stretch marks. They've started on the side of my belly already. Boo! Right now they're just little dots but I'm sure they'll start lengthening soon. At least my hubby says he'll still love me, and sadly enough it isn't as if its the first time I've had stretch marks. At least these are pregnancy related.
  • The toilets at work. Their automatic flush is just too damn powerful. No matter how far I get from them as they flush, I still get hit with splash back. And that's just gross.
  • The rain. Apparently Seattle is not aware that June means the start of summer, which means sunshine. A sopping wet gray day in June is just cruel. Perhaps we used up our spring sun quota in April and May with those rather short lived heat waves (days where we get into the 80's).
  • Summertime television. It's all re-runs from here on out. Luckily I just started a Netflix subscription so hopefully we'll have some movies to keep us occupied.
  • Registering. I thought it would be fun, but really it was just overwhelming. It is done now and after some online editing I'm pretty happy with it. But while in the store with Jeramy, I felt completely clueless about what to do with a baby much less what I'd need to buy for it.

11 comments:

CanadianMama said...

I LOVE your bedding!

Nicky said...

The kicks are awesome! (I say this even though they've been keeping me up at night.) Very cool that Jeramy can feel them already -- my husband just felt his first one on Monday, at 26 weeks!

Kathy V said...

I am gkad Jeramy is back at work. It is always bothersome when you have to worry about hubby's job. That is great that he got to feel the kick and the bedding is awesome. I have heard that the registering process can be extremely overwhelming. We have gone to the big store several times just to look at what is out there so when we register we have an idea of competing brands. Plus it give me the chance to look into whether I will really need it and compare prices. (The authors of what I think is Babygizmo.com wrote a book about stuff to register for and what not to register for. I have found it to be very helpful.) From what I hear Pittsburgh and Seattle have a lot of the same weather patterns. Frankly, I am tired of rainy days too. Where is the sun?

Kelly said...

I love Jillian's bedding! It will look great:) YAY for Jeramy being back at work...even though he might have liked a little more ~vacation~!

Katie said...

The bedding is GORGEOUS!!!!

And yes, this rain sucks. And it's supposed to keep going. . .

UGH.

Cheryl said...

The bedding is perfect, love it!

You use to call strawberries "sCrawberries" and you would crawl to the fridge and cry for them, but if you ate too many you would break out in a rash so we would have to limit them and listen to you cry.

I'm so excited for Jillian to arrive I can hardly wait!!!

Love, Aunt Cheryl

Prairie Girl said...

Yay for Hubs being back to work!! :D

I love the bedding!

I have heard that more and more about registering. That it's very little fun,this revelation, makes me want to cry! LOL

Geohde said...

One of the things I will really miss about pregnancy is the movement,

J

jenn said...

The bedding is really cute! I love the pink & brown together.

heh- I have strech marks without pregnancy now... I'm sure I'll get them bad if I ever do get pregnant. If I'm anything like my mom I will, but hopefully I won't get the swollen (c)ankles.. Not sure which is worse...

jenn said...

oh- you've been tagged by the way- check out my blog!

Anonymous said...

I think I could of used a couple more days off.