Jillian turned eleven months old yesterday. Less than one month until her first birthday. It's hard to believe that I will soon be saying that I have a one-year old.
It has been a busy month at our house between several camping trips, BBQ's, fishing and the usual day to day life of work, cleaning and errands. We have always been busy, but toting a now toddling baby around adds a new dimension to our already hectic schedule. This past month has of course brought a lot of changes such as...
- Walking - she can now make her way halfway across rooms in an upright position. At times as she closes in on you she almost seems to run even. She is certainly not graceful. I'd really describe her walking style as fearless and adventurous.
- Climbing - I really thought this would happen until much later. She climbs on and off her chair (as you saw). She can get down from many high objects like the couch. She'll take advantage of toys placed in front of objects to climb up them. She sticks her leg on the ridge of the bathtub as if she is trying to climb out. As long as she stays in her crib...we best lower it another notch.
- Talking - After mastering "yay" she has also learned "yeah". We are sticklers for good grammar at our house. She can clearly say "Dada" when she is talking of Jeramy. And yesterday she seemed to be using the word "Dog". Now if she'd have a little appreciation for me and pick-up the word "Mama". I mean I did give birth to her and all. Jeez.
- Drinking from the sippy - She has been able to drink from her sippy cup for a couple months now, but usually it has just been water. Given her proficiency, we decided to start taking away the bottle during the day in trade for the sippy cup. After finding out that she won't drink formula from a sippy cup with a valve, we found that she would drink it from the munchkin ones. So we are pretty much switched with the exception of the bedtime and nightime bottle (yes, she usually still wants a little something in the wee hours of the morning).
- Riding in a convertable car seat - Jeramy just picked up a couple today. I'm really going to miss the convenience of the infant carseat and the ability to avoid waking my sleeping baby.
- Eating finger foods - purees are definitely on their way out. After about 5 or 6 bites, she spits the food into her fingers so that she can play with it. I've found that she really likes pasta, cheese and meat. So we are beginning to explore what meals she can feed herself. Because really, spoon feeding an infant who spits her food out is not particularly rewarding (not to mention extremely messy).
- Ponytails and pigtails - somebody's hair is getting a bit long.